NAKAWAK is a Metroidvania that pays homage to the original GameBoy, keeping as true to the retro aesthetic as possible and featuring good, oldschool challenge.
The player’s success is highly dependent on his or her willingness to learn the lay of the land. The Undercity is big, but not so large that it becomes convoluted.
The Undercity is a sprawling, interconnected, semi-open-world environment teeming with (mostly) hostile lifeforms. NAKAWAK is unique. He has had an awakening of sorts. He has discovered the meaning of "I." He has found a sense of "self."
Alone in a hostile world filled with monstrous beings, NAKAWAK knows his purpose: Defeat the Three Beasts and the Seal will fail, opening the way to the surface and freedom!
Explore! Power Up! Escape!
NAKAWAK is a retro game displaced in time.
- Fully exploreable, semi-open-world environment!
- A simple in-game map that is great for course correcting without spoiling the adventure and surprises!
- A dark, minimalist storyline told through few words and memorable set pieces!
- Three to four hours of to the point, all killer, no filler gameplay experience!
- Simple, GameBoy style chiptune soundtrack!
- Nearly 20 upgrades and powerups to procure!
- A broad and wild bestiary of creatures to exterminate!
- Three huge bosses to battle, each more challenging than the last!
- Crawl through tight, winding tunnels with NAKAWAK’s charming dog form!
- Turn the HUD off/on on the fly with the press of the "SELECT" button!
- Enter / Exit fullscreen mode on the fly with Alt+ENTER!
And your adventures needn’t end here! An alternative, expanded, colorized edition of NAKAWAK (featuring new bosses, levels, abilities, and item locations) is coming sometime late 2018 / early 2019!
Join NAKAWAK in his ongoing adventure! His road to freedom is long and dark. But with you, there is light at the end of this dark tunnel.