The Great Whale Road is a story-driven RPG set in the Early Middle Ages. Travel through an ancient world, sailing along the North Sea and battling foes in turn-based combat. Interactive historical fiction comes to life through its digitally hand-drawn art, colourful characters, atmospheric soundtrack, and deeply researched lore.
Fight, trade and discover the story of your village and its heroes. Are you worthy to lead them to renown and riches?
Gameplay is split into two seasons. Winter to manage and plan for the year ahead and summer when you sail the whale road and visit other towns and villages. You and your warband have to fulfill a quest each year, while ensuring that you have sufficient food to feed everyone through the long months of winter. Digitally hand-drawn locations are connected by an atmospheric side-scrolling sailing mode. Grid based tactical combat means that Valhalla can be just a warcry away.
- Storyline about the Danes from Úlfarrsted, a village on a small North Sea island just off the coast from the Danish-Saxon borderland.
- A story-driven campaign from the north of Denmark to the south of England.
- Character quests
- Character progression
- Equip characters with weapons and armour sets.
- Four combat classes and associated warcries.
- Land and sea combat environments.
- An event system which covers all areas of medieval life from farming to family feuds.
- Dynamic trade system.
- Ship and settlement upgrades.
Sunburned Games is an independent studio based in Valencia, a city rich in history and also rich in sunshine. Sunburned Games’ vision is to create hand-crafted gaming experiences with historical authenticity and strong narratives.