VR0GU3™ is a virtual reality sci-fi shooter with rogue-like influences for the HTC Vive.
Please note that the Unapologetic Hardcore VR Edition utilizes a touchpad walking-style of movement, which will likely make you sick if you are sensitive to simulator sickness. We make no apologies for implementing touchpad walking, as our goal is to provide a "hardcore VR" experience, but if you do tend to suffer simulator sickness, we must recommend that you should not buy this game. See the bottom of this page for more information.
ABOUT THE GAME
You have completed your infiltration mission. You now have just 15 minutes to make your way through the corridors of the labyrinthine spacestation and steal a fighter in order to make your escape.
Along the way, you’ll find ammo, medical packs, and weapon upgrade kits for enhancing your handgun, as well as information access panels from which valuable intel can be extracted using your omni-tools (Vive controllers).
Each floor of the station is random, as are the spawn locations of all enemies, which means every play-through will be different.
Every kill, each intel access point and each floor you complete grants your character experience points (XP), which will enable you to level up as you progress through a game. Be aware, though, that your enemies level up with you—as you amass XP for a high score, you also make the game that much more challenging for yourself.
- 15-minute VR gaming sessions — perfect for VR parties with your non-VRing friends!
- Hardcore VR mechanics — to reload you handgun, you need to eject the spent mag/drum (press Menu on your dominant hand), grab a replacement from your ammo pouch (with your off hand), and slot it into the weapon before you can fire
- Keep your holosword handy…for close encounters — Out of ammo? Carve a path through the enemy until you can find more!
- RPG-lite, rogue-like character advancement (collect XP to advance your Level, which in turn increases things like your health and damage stats)
- PERMADEATH! — you have 15 minutes; no checkpoints; no saves; you die, you start over
- Rogue-like "dungeon" — levels are selected at random from a large pool; we will be expanding the pool of levels over time too, until players should rarely ever see the same level
- All enemy spawn locations are random
- Enemies level with you, so the game increases in difficulty as you increase your Level
- No two plays through will be the same — endless replayability!
- Old-school difficulty — surviving to the end is a significant challenge; completing a run through and reaching the escape point should provide a profound sense of accomplishment
- The space station has a high-contrast "bright future" aesthetic, which we think looks pretty cool
WHAT WE’RE WORKING ON FOR THE NEXT UPDATE
- Game balance and pacing (this is our major focus area for the next update)
- Best Rogues Leaderboard — reserved for those who survive to the end, for epic bragging rights
- High Score Leaderboard — showing the highest scoring rogues
- Tweaking the enemy AI to reduce some of the more stupid things it sometimes does
- Adding another enemy type
- Adding the first collectible weapons, which are powerful but expire when you run out of ammo for them
This initial Early Access release is intended to introduce — and gather community feedback on — all aspects of the game. We invite our players to share their feedback in our Steam forums where all may contribute freely to the discussion. Jump in and contribute your ideas today!
REGARDING SIMULATOR SICKNESS
VR0GU3 utilizes a touchpad walking-style of movement (e.g. ONWARD). This method of VR locomotion can bring on simulator sickness if you are sensitive to it. If so, the good news is that you can harden yourself to simulator sickness in the same way sailors get their sea-legs—but hardening to simulator sickness can take a while and is not a particularly nice experience. For this reason, we do not recommend that players who are sensitive to simulator sickness buy our game — we don’t think those players will enjoy it very much.
Depending on community reaction, we may introduce other locomotion systems, like teleportation, at a later date, but we have no plans to implement these at this time given the potential impact on the game’s pacing and challenge — it would be difficult if not impossible to ensure a level playing field for the Leaderboards.
Having said that, we will be constantly engaging with our player community, and specifically keeping a eye on how players react to touchpad walking — that’s pretty much what Early Access is all about.
- VR0GU3 is set in the same universe as our flagship project, STRANGE ALLIES™, which is an ambitious VR RPG we’re also making.
- VR0GU3 started out as an experiment in random level generation, but it was so much fun we realized it could be a game in its own right.